Oral cancer can affect any area of the dental structure, including tongues, lips, and salivary glands. It is a deadly disease that requires immediate treatment hence the need for oral cancer screenings. Oral cancer is best dealt with by early detection. Getting regular dental examinations can reduce your risks of suffering from advanced-stage oral cancer and give you a high chance of recovery. So what then is oral cancer screening?
Oral cancer screening is a comprehensive oral and neck examination conducted by a certified dentist. During oral screenings, your dentist in 34285 can identify signs that indicate future risks of oral cancer and help you prevent them. Also, oral cancer screening makes it easier for dentists to detect early stages of oral cancer, facilitating early treatment. One of the instruments that dentists use to detect cancer cells in the mouth is called VELscope.
At times, oral cancer symptoms might not show early signs. Also, the symptoms could seem like another dental issue. It is essential to visit the dentist whenever you notice sudden changes inside your mouth, especially when these symptoms persist for too long.
Furthermore, you can’t conclude about your symptoms until you’ve seen your dentist and get a professional diagnosis.
Symptoms of oral cancer include the following:
● Loss of taste or numbness around the tongue and other areas of the mouth
● Swelling around the neck
● Weight loss
● Loosened teeth
● Consistent bad breath
● Swelling or lumps in the cheek
● Painful chewing and swallowing
● Chronic sore throat
● Teeth and jaw pain
● Red patches on the gums, lips, tonsils, lining of the mouth, or tongue
● Constant sores inside the mouth that lasts for too long
It is best to visit a dentist near you if you these notice signs. They do not always indicate that you have oral cancer, but you can only be sure after getting an oral screening. You can check for VELscope oral cancer screening near you.
VELscope is a handheld oral cancer screening device that can detect oral cancer at its early stage. The device shows a blue light which helps dentists notice weird changes inside the mouth. These changes can not be spotted without the device’s help and are undetectable with bare eyes.
VELscope oral cancer screening is a noninvasive procedure that takes only a few minutes. The VELscope light is often connected with a camera to show clear pictures of your inner mouth structure. That allows the dentist to see abnormal changes that might have occurred. Looking for where to get a VeLscope oral cancer screening? Contact David R. Smith.
Although there are many causes of oral cancer, primarily unknown, you can reduce your risk of developing oral cancer by doing the following.
● Malnutrition can increase your risk of developing oral cancer. Eat food with enough nutrients. Top up your meal plan with lots of veggies and fruits. Also, do not overcook your veggies so that they don’t lose the nutrients you need, especially those that can fight mouth cancer and other diseases.
● Limit your alcohol intake. Too much intake of alcohol can cause dry mouth and other dental illnesses. It even gets worse if you smoke as well. You can reduce your mouth cancer risks by lowering the level of alcohol that you consume.
● Practice safe sex. If you engage in oral sex, you can keep safe sticking to one partner you trust. That is because if you engage in oral sex with someone who has Human Papillomavirus (HPV), you might be at a higher risk of contracting oral cancer when the virus gets into your mouth.
● Get familiar with your mouth. You can do this by checking your mouth every morning. That would help you notice any sudden change. If you stay around Venice, you can see our dentist in Venice once you notice abnormal changes inside your mouth.
● Visit your dentist regularly for dental examinations. Early detection can help significantly in combating oral cancer.